Thursday, September 15, 2011

I did a bit of traveling...

OK, before you get your panties all twisted, yes I realized I said I would write earlier this week about my weekend adventures but as I write these at work, my home computer was revolting against sending pictures to my work email.  We have had peaceful talks and are currently working through are disagreements constructively.  That being said....


I loved going away the last 2 weekends, but I am very much looking forward to sticking around my beloved city for a while.  But here's the recap:

Since Labor Day Weekend was 2 weeks ago, I decided to head down to DC to visit a few friends and family.  I have to say, this turned out to be much more low key than my usual trips.  It was so nice!  I arrived at 2pm on Saturday.  Gia and I grabbed a delicious bite to eat outside of Union Station (she had Fish Tacos, I had  a chicken sandwich... yummy!) and headed out to Virginia.  I agreed to house/dog sit for my brother that evening.  Poor Mr. Magoo is so old, but he's a big ol' love bug!  So we hung out and watched movies and had some wine with cupcakes.  It was fantasticly relaxing! 

The next day we got up and went here:

Nationals Stadium, baby!!  Unfortunately, my team (the Yankees... stop hating immediately.) was not playing.  However, I got to see the Mets play the Nationals... FROM BOX SEATS!!  I never really made it out to the seats because it was an awfully hot day.

And we had a box.

Filled with food.

And air conditioning.

So...?  I'm not sure how else to explain why I didn't make it to the seats...

But I did watch the game! 

Anyway, They had grilled hot dogs with all the fixins including chili, cheese, onions and relish, along with the usual suspects.  There were delicious wings, a fridge full of beer and sodas and chips with the most amazing dips you have ever tried! 

Then this came along.

That, my friends, is what we call a S'mores cake.  It is about 27 layers of chocolate, mouse, chocolate ganache, marshmallow fluff, graham crackers... basically heaven. And this picture doesn't do it justice.  That piece of cake was the size of my head. 

I did get to visit with a few of my old co-workers (we got the tickets through my old office where Gia currently works.)  which was just fantastic! 

After the last pitch:

...we hung out for a bit longer before heading back to Virginia to have dinner with my brother Mike, sister-in-law, Jody, and nephew, Quinn!

Jody made a delish dinner!  Then we all just hung out and enjoyed each other's company until we realized if we didn't leave, we'd miss the last train back into DC. 

Holy.  Crazies. 

What the crap DC?!  I remember the crazies, but these were a rare breed!  One guy had a big-gulp cup on the metro.  I couldn't figure out what he had in it until he refilled the cup, TO THE TOP, with vodka and Kahlua.  I don't know what drink he was going for exactly, but he was going to town on it!  Then he decided he just needed to get one last work-out in before the night was over, and started pumping his arms.  Then pushing against the seat in front of him as hard as he could.  Then pumping his arms again.  Then flexing and checking out his reflection in the windows of the metro.  I'm not sure what he was seeing, but I was seeing a guy with pigtails, a trucker hat, and an old Orlando Magic jersey.  My. God.

Then there was the guy with the tiny Koala bear attached to his shirt.  There's not much more to say about that.

Monday we had pho which is just the best thing in the world... if it's done right.  And in DC, it's done right!  We went to Pho14 and had amazing spring rolls, and two huge bowls of Pho.  YUM!  Then I headed home.

*boring week at work*


Natalie and I met at the Bolt Bus "depot" also known as the corner by the Tick Tock diner.  Anyway, Natalie needed a weekend away, and we had an extra ticket for Beerfest at the Ballpark!  So it worked out perfectly!  Of course, for the first time in history, I have like 14 back-up plans for when the bus runs late because the bus ALWAYS runs late!  And for the first time in history the bus leaves right on time and arrives right on time and we make the 1st train to Manayunk and we meet Katie at the train station and it went as smoothly as could be!  So so nice.

We headed out to Main Street in Manayunk for the evening.  Here's the thing.  The last time I went to visit my people in the Philly area I got just a LITTLE over excited that a round of drinks cost as much as 1 martini here in Manhattan.  I *MAY* have over-done it a bit.  So I was determined to take it easier this time.  And then we went to Bourbon and they were have $1 drinks.  Really??  Manayunk has a vendetta against me, I swear!

Beth and Katie

Me and Natalie

Ooooh, Photobombed!! 

So I have this fun new camera with the screen on the front so you
can see when you are taking a self portrait.  I don't think this function
made this picture any better at all.  But whatevs... right?

This was printed on the back of all the headrests in the Cab.
We took pictures of this right before Katie realized she may
have locked us out of the house...  Thank GOD people in
Manayunk are trusting and leave their doors unlocked.
So that was night 1.  We got up the next day and got ready for...


Sarah met us at the house, as did Steve and his 2 friends
(not pictured... duh...)
I adore this picture!  Steve is to the left, Natalie's face is priceless,
and there's Dan on the right...

Katie and I were roommates at West Chester University,
and across the hall lived these two lovely ladies, Alyssa
and Michelle Ma Bell!

Here is Alyssa and Pete, Katie having a SHOCKING conversation
with that guy, Ray is in the background on the right who is
Michelle's other half.  Behind Katie is a guy whose name I can't
remember, but he was obsessed with asking me if he could have
my nuts. which he found hilarious for some reason... I don't have nuts...

Super sweet group shot!  From the left, Steve, Natalie, Dan, Sarah and Katie

Group photo of Me, Katie, Sarah, Dan Natalie and.... Tyson... or DJ...
Or Steve's friend that puked at the bar.

True. Story.

So all in all it was a really good day!  We tried lots of delish beers, my favorite (and of course the one that got kicked the fastest) was called Fruli.  It's a strawberry flavored beer, that really doesn't taste like beer at all.  And that's right up my alley!  So if you find it anywhere, let me know!  Or ship me some... one or the other.  Or both!

That night we went out to The Bayou in Manayunk after I freshened up a bit.  We had a great time!  Birthday Cake shots, some delectable food, and lots of new friends!  DJ totally puked in the bar... AND on one of Sarah's friends.  O. M. G. Ew.  And he was all "I threw up a little bit.  No big deal, I feel fine.  Here, hand me that beer."  which... really?!  Anyway.  Good times had by all!  We stumbled home early, around 1am to find Sarah had locked a pizza in the oven and was attempting to make popcorn.  Katie used her magic and freed the pizza, I was asleep before it was done cooking though. 

The next day we had some breakfast and watched some of the 9/11 tribute.  It's strange to me that although 9/11 has definitely impacted me, since moving to New York I really feel it harder.  It all hits me harder.  And I'm not sure why.  But the tears just start flowing immediately when I see anything about it. 

We watched part of the Eagles game before heading back to New York.  Again with Bolt Bus running on time and all that craziness.  If they could keep that up, it would be wonderful!!

*yet another boring week at work*

I'll be back tomorrow (no seriously, I will) to chat about how it literally takes 3 years to establish yourself in NYC, and how I am *almost* there!  Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment